• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pickup Shopping [minor rant ahead]

R6MGS

Yoda
Ok, so I've spent the last 3 days driving around the province looking for a common used S10/Sonoma. I thought "no problem, those things are everwhere"....Well three days of driving has gotten me nowhere....Every reasonably priced truck is completely beat and anything decent sells within an hour or so of being advertised! Is the demand really that high for a used pickup? And not being to picky...Just want a nice automatic v6...nothing else matters. I even tried for a couple Rangers...Same thing, either complete junk, sell even before i can drive out there, or way over priced.(rant over)

Gunna try the Repo Depo tomorrow and I have a friend who works at a Chevy dealer working on getting one for me....Wish me luck! I never expect it to be this hard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Ford repo'd my 1998 Ford Ranger after I missed the payment that was due the same day I got married (honest mistake)... No call or anything. 4 months later it was gone. But it sold at auction for $4000. A steal considering it was 4.5 years old and only had 28,000 miles on it. I only owed $3500 on it and recieved a check from ford for $500. Still wish I'da gotten a phone call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Heres hoping someone around here has an honest mistake and I get the steal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Going right down to the Repo Depo tomorrow morning...hoping they'll have something, or at least agree to notify me when they get something. The problem with repo'd cars here is that alot of our "newly landed 'contributing' citizens" like to pick through the Depo for anything good during the day when the rest of us are working, but thats a whole other rant.......

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Try contacting the local new car dealers.
Tell them that you're interested,or in the case of a low milage,excallent condition truck,that you can give the owner
more than they would offer on a trade in.
Tell them that they might sell a new vehicle that they might miss.

- Doug

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks Doug.....good idea....I've called most of them and asked them to call me if they get any, but I've never tried your approach.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Well I just spent the entire morning at Repo Depo...They got tons of pickups, mostly ones that have been driven right into the ground. But they had a 2002 S10 with onlt 30,000km...thing was like brand new, not even a mark on it....Spent 3 hours trying to work a deal with the bank, which led to nothing simply becasue the bank would rather it sit and deteriorate than accept wholesale value for it.

Actually they know that someone will eventually come along and give them what they want for it.

William

Darth Vader
Actually I'm not surprised you're having problems finding a good used pickup. Generally speaking, the best used trucks I find around here are at dealerships and are consequently pretty expensive. Most trucks I see for sale privately are really high mileage (albiet often in good nick), so the dealers won't offer much if any trade in on it.

-Wm.

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
What they wanted was full retail...I offered wholesale....They came back at $600 over wholesale....Still a deal, but the fact that a huge bank like that would try and suck another $600 outta me is what ticked me off after I spent most of the morning waiting around for them to respond. I am still looking, and have a bunch of contacts out for me...so hopefully something will turn up soon. Otherwise I got a lead on a 69 MGBGT w/ OD that can be had pretty cheap so I might just get that and let my son use that all year round.

I forgot to mention before, Repo Depo had a huge Fountain 42 off-shore race boat on 'managers special' for $127,000.....Probably could be had for even less. I was drooling nonstop, and I am really not much of a boat person...But this was really something, just sitting there in the back lot with a bunch of junk cars.

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Just in case you don't know, the 2 best selling vehicles in the world are the Ford F150 and the Chevy C10 (or whatever they call it now). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
I heard that. I also heard that the most common vehicle owned by millionaires is the Ford F-150.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Also try Cars.com - you might be able to have one of
us on the Forum check it out for you.
Might be worth a trip to the "Lower 48"
Although I'm not sure about what it would take to get it into Canada.
Just a thought.

- Doug

OP
R6MGS

R6MGS

Yoda
Thanks Doug...I forgot about cars.com

Just heading out now to look at one....high mileage, but with a 3 yr warrantee it sounds pretty good. Plus the dealer calls himself the "sports car headquarters" and any excuse to check out a place like that is good with me.