• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB Oil Filter---Which one is best

kyreb1862

Jedi Knight
What brand oil filter works best on my 1977 "B". The catalog at the local auto parts store says Fram PH43. Is this a good filter or are there better ones? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Never ever use a Fram on anything! I like Crosland filters.

I am still using Unipart (dealer OE) filters after twenty-five or so years. I use Crosland if Unipart cannot supply. But in fairness , the only parts I have seen lately from Unipart is thermostats , radiator caps , oil and air filters. I shy away from Fram except for their HP1.

Alan T

Stay away from Fram. I like Wix, but some swear by Mann.

Fram filters have been castigated on various internet sites for being sub-par (I'm not sure if it's useful to believe everything you hear on the internet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

Anyway, the critics are generally referring to the standard Fram oil filters.
Fram has different versions of the same filters.
The "Tough Guard" version of their filters get decent reviews and there is also a Fram "racing" version of the PH43 filter that you use. It's supposed to be quite good (but costs about $12).

I have been using the Fram Tough Guard filters with good results on my racer (around 15 oil changes per year). I use them in my street Miata too.
If you prefer, other common brands such are Purolator, Crosland or Wix are probably fine too.

[edit] I originally mixed up the "Fram Extra Guard" with the superior Fram "Tough Guard" but I have corrected the above.
The "Tough Guard" is the good one....the "Extra Guard" is the standard version[/edit]

Mostly unipart and Crosland here.....I have a Fram Extra guard on the LE cuz I needed a filter in a jam.....So far it seams fine.

[ QUOTE ]
Stay away from Fram. I like Wix, but some swear by Mann.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Mann or Mahle in the BMWs; Wix (#51068) in the MGB.
I won't even use a Fram in the snow beater 92 Accord.

I've got a ford motorcraft on mine - I picked it over the fram because it felt and looked better built. Who's got the link to that huge writeup to the oil filter tests where they cut each one open and tell ya whats inside?

I have a 1986 4 cyl Ford Ranger pickup that I bought new and it has 246,000 miles on it and with the exception of the cam belt,(replaced at 100,000 miles), the engine has never been apart and STILL does not burn oil. The point is, the oil has always been changed at 3,000 miles and it's never had any other oil filters than Fram! Go figure! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gifPJ

[ QUOTE ]
https://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

[/ QUOTE ]I read through the material in this link and the facts would seem to indicate that about anything but a Fram (or any filter made by them) would seem to be a good filter for the "B". The gentleman in the article says that valve train noise on start up was greatly reduced or eliminated when using any of the other brands. Wix, Purolator and even STP filters would seem to be acceptable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

I use Canton Mecca on the Elva & Pinto.....

K&N on the DeLorean.

I don't know why.....Some guy told me to.
Anyone think either is a bad idea??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My Camaro has 330k on the clock...Motor never been touched, always ran synthetic oil...Not sure what filters thou, pretty much whatever was available.