• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How did you spend Memorial Day?

PATR8

Jedi Knight
We went to the local samll town parade, very well organized and been continous for over 50 years.... braved some rain.... then I drove my 8 to Virginia (after only putting 35 miles on her this spring as a road test) On my way back from Ft Pickett last month we drove what had to be the most beautiful road I have every drove (In my H3 and not nearly as fun). It is RTE 511 and joins RTE 480 to 81. It is a small two lane road up over the mountians, crosses the Sky Way park way. Lots of switch backs, very little traffic, several small towns to stop in to add power steering fluid. Was a great drive up until my power steering died altogether on 81 on the way back. Thank goodness it did not happen on the switch backs. I would have had to stop to rest my arms.

Got back in time to call some friends and and remember some friends no longer with us, talk war stories and wish each other a Happy Memorial day. I hope every one had a Great Holiday

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this to you today, but thank you very much for your service.

( we finally got the new bbw assembled - woo hoo. Out first home cooked meal in the new house. )

Visited local Veteran's Memorial for early AM service, played golf, rode around with my wife in the TR6 (driving Mr. Daisy) had an ice cream cone, came home cleaned out the gutters, showered, cooked hot dogs on the grille for dinner and got on the Forum.

The first part of what I did today was a family obligation, done yearly since I was old enough to know where I was.

Everything else that I did today and every day was possible because of where I went in part one.

Thanks to you and all others who have served and currently are defending our freedom.

I helped my son's Boy Scout troop put over 350 American flags in our local cemetery at 6:30 this morning. Went home and took a morning nap. (Getting old sucks) Fired up the grill and cooked for the family and in-laws. Then I finished the day by umpiring my son's baseball game. All in all, a very nice relaxing American holiday.

None of it would be possible without the service of our brave men and women in the United States military. Please remember to thank them for their continued service to our country.

Never forget, freedom isn't free.

I spent much of the day mowing and trimming around my mom's house. (Age 90, 2nd Lieutenant, USN, WAVES, WWII.) Oh, and since the Toro wouldn't fit in any other car, I managed to get it in the trunk of the Herald to bring it from my house to hers! :smile:

Did chores in the morning and then relaxed on the deck in the afternoon and read car magazines, 'Thoroughbred & Classic Cars', 'Classic & Sportscar' and 'Pratical Classics' and enjoyed a Scotch.

Spent the morning decorating and paying respects
to our deceased Vets in Little Arlington in our
town with the rest of BSA Troop 505.

Thanks to those men and women and thanks to all of
you who served in our military.

We are signing papers tommorow for delayed entry for
my 17-year-old who will be joining the Marines
after he turns 18.

Oahu has bases from all the services, so lots of activity on Memorial Day weekend. On Sunday the British Car Club of Hawaii had it's annual parade & show - Dave, Ron, and I were there with our machines. I helped the Scouts place flags at the Pacific War Memorial (Punchbowl) and returned for a sunset memorial service, part of the Rolling Thunder POW/MIA effort the bike groups put on in DC and other places.

Today I was at Hickam Beach for my church's morning cookout and got to watch the Nimitz carrier group pull into Pearl (Look out Honolulu - Fleet's in!). Late afternoon I took my 74.5 TR6 on it's first drive of more than 5 minutes (Bought for parts but decided to bring back to life). Saw a forlorn warrior being towed out of Pearl to meet it's fate. You can't save 'em all...

Great weekend - Can't wait 'til July Fourth & Hana ho!

Jeff
74 & 74.5 TR6

Attachments

• 11641.jpg
    11641.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 174
  • 11642.jpg
    11642.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 11643.jpg
    11643.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 177
I mowed my lawn in the morning, then finished installing the SU carbs on the '79 Spitfire, took it for a spin, and determined I probably need new needles.

I Rototilled my entire front lawn under!
Then raked it out in the heat!

Oh yeah I put a nice big ol' dent in my car too :frown:

all & all A productive weekend (Sarcasm)

In the morning and afternoon I mowed the lawn and did some other general yard work. I had planned to wash and wax the TR3B, but just ran out of time. We we
nt to the local AAA baseball game in the evening for Armed Forces Tribute Night were members of the Armed Forces threw out ceremonial first pitches, and the IronPigs wore camo jerseys which were auctioned off during the game for the benefit of the Blue Star mothers.
After the game I came home and talked on the phone with our son (an EWO) at Randolph AFB awaiting his training plane in Kirtland AFB...

I spent most of the day flat on my back reinstalling the exhaust on the TR6.
Then watched the Stanley Cup finals.

Will hockey and basketball ever finish before mid summer? It seems that they just end and they're starting right back up again.

Spent to whole weekend re-doing the floor boards in the freespit. I did take time out yesterday to visit an uncle (a vet) in a nursing home (hopfully only temporary).

The seasons do last forever. The exception is when your local team is still in contention.
The way things are looking, hockey will be over very soon.

TRopic6 said:
On Sunday the British Car Club of Hawaii had it's annual parade & show - Dave, Ron, and I were there with our machines.

Now THAT sounds like a good time - zipping around Hawaii in a TR6 (or similar)...

Took the 6 down to the Mall in DC on Saturday to cruise a bit and see what was in store for Rolling Thunder 2008 the following day.

Spent most of Sunday near the reflecting pool in DC for Rolling Thunder 2008. Hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists for all over the US converge on DC each memorial day weekend to raise awareness for POW/MIA's.

As a vet myself, this has become a yearly commitment to attend. Living thirty minutes from downtown DC helps a lot. Not willing to tempt fate and park the 6 downtown anywhere during an event that big, but I will spit and polish the car and do a drive-by. Always get a few friendly points and nods.

Carter Sensabaugh - Centreville, VA
Operation Iraqi Freedom '05-'06

Rode the bike to DC Saturday for the Rolling Thunder ride Sunday. Rode in the demonstration (it is not a parade) and spent the rest of the day around the mall and visiting the Memorials.
Monday we spent most of the day at Arlington Cemetery. I am still moved at the Changing of the Guard.

And to all you other Vets out there, thanks Brothers and Sisters

NutmegCT said:
Stayed home and read my dad's WW2 diary. Solomon Islands, Fiji, etc.

Tom
That is so great your father left you a diary.

I always wished my dad had written a diary, what a story he could have told. He was a B-17 turret gunner. He joined about a year before Pearl Harbor in Oct. 1940 and was in until Nov. 1945. He was sent to England in August of 1943 and flew missions right up until the end. He flew over 35 missions, was shot down 3 times and wounded twice.

He was one of the lucky ones to be beat the odds and be in it from the start and make it thru all the way to the end. I was going thru some of his papers a while back and found his original orders to start active combat duty. They read very simply: "You are placed on duty which involves regular of frequent participation in aerial flights effective 16 August 1943 and will remain on such duty until relieved by competent authority."

Unfortunately like so many men that were there he never really wanted to talk much about it. I was only ever able to get him to tell me just a few stories about what happened over there.

It’s men like your father and mine and thousands more that we owe so much to, never forget.