• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cockpit Trim Q's

62BT7

Country flag
Howdy all: I have a BT-7, hence no roll-up windows, and the rim of the cockpit has the screw-on aluminum trim...rails? Whatever those are called. Two q's:
1) I very vaguely recall reading somewhere that these trim pieces should not be cleaned/polished. Something about the finish. Maybe I'm off base on that but I'm on the verge of doing a slight body restoration project and don't want to botch this. My plan was to use a non-abrasive auto metal cleaner followed by a polish like Happich Simichrome. Good idea or bad?

2) I can brute force the answer (ie test various screw sizes in bins), but does anyone know offhand the size of the chrome sheetmetal screws that hold these trim pieces to the door? I can figure it out by trial and error but if someone knows off the top that'd be great. Worth asking.

Many thanks,
-Tom

The trim should be a flatter anodized finish, not polished if you want it to be correct. Of course, you see many that are polished and almost look like chrome. It is hard to tell in the photo below, but I think you can see that the trim is not as bright as the chrome boot lid hinges or even the polished aluminum fuel filler cap. Typically, the trim is scratched requiring cleaning, polishing and reanodizing.

I forget the size of the screws but I will see if I can find it for you. The doors use self-tapping screws while the trim around the rear squab on the shroud uses machine screws.

Lin

Attachments

• 17453.jpg
    17453.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 188
FYI,
Mines an early BN1, tried buffing out the scratches etc prior to re anodizing, no good, kept hitting pockets of impurities in the original ali, ended up using a paint with a flat clear finish, looks close to original, and thats after a few years, being a later model you may have more luck

Stainless steel, beveled #8 10X32 screws about 1 inch with nuts and lockwashers were used. After removing the trim piece I lightly sanded and filled any crevices, then used a good metal primer. Then I used Eastwoods "Alumablast" paint following with a clear coat. Going on 5 years now and still looks good.
Good luck

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K For Sale TR3 Cockpit Trim ...N/A at The Big 3 Triumph Classifieds 0
trotti Aluminum cockpit trim Austin Healey 0
D Door Cockpit Trim Austin Healey 11
jvandyke vinyl trim on cockpit surround Spridgets 5
W Polished cockpit trim Spridgets 18
Jayrz Cockpit trim Spridgets 12
TR4 TR4/4A ??Replacement TR4 Aluminum Cockpit Surround Trim?? Triumph 9
jlaird Cockpit trim Spridgets 5
C Anodizing Cockpit Trim Austin Healey 11
B Cockpit Aluminum Trim Moulding Austin Healey 9
5 Wanted Looking for a Rear Cockpit Molding for a BN2 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
R Wanted Cockpit surround Spridgets Classified 1
bugedd Wanted: Bugeye cockpit surrounds Spridgets Classified 7
maxwedge5281 Cockpit Surround Molding Austin Healey 4
F Exhaust Fumes in the Cockpit - BT7 Austin Healey 10
K For Sale Front cockpit dash rail...N/A at Moss Triumph Classifieds 0
bighealeysource Wanted Looking for missing BN2 door and cockpit moldings Austin Healey Classifieds 0
K For Sale TR3 rear cockpit center capping Triumph Classifieds 0
L 100 ID plate inside cockpit Austin Healey 10
K TR2/3/3A Gluing vinyl to cockpit capping? Triumph 5
B Prince of darkness conquered in the cockpit Austin Healey 17
K TR2/3/3A Cockpit quarter rails? Triumph 11
C TR2/3/3A Gas tank cover in cockpit area Triumph 3
Rob Glasgow Re-anodizing cockpit surrounds Austin Healey 3
A TR2/3/3A Cockpit capping Triumph 7
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A Cockpit capping Triumph 11
J Aluminum molding in cockpit Austin Healey 9
T TR4/4A Fabricating a metal panel in between the fuel tank and cockpit Triumph 6
PHerder ? about the rear section of the cockpit on a 1966 Sprite MkIII Spridgets 9
S Mk III Sprite cockpit surround - trying to recover Spridgets 9
Griz Cockpit Insulation Austin Healey 13
R Interior cockpit coatings and insulation Triumph 12
Lukens TR2/3/3A TR3 fumes in cockpit. Triumph 4
S TR2/3/3A tr3 leather cockpit capping dog leg Triumph 4
NutmegCT TR2/3/3A TR3 cockpit - summer heat! Triumph 12
S TR2/3/3A leather cockpit tr3 Triumph 2
O TR2/3/3A TR3 Cockpit Cappings Triumph 1
bighealeysource Looking for specific # cockpit surrounds for BN2 Austin Healey 5
R cockpit/underbody paint Spridgets 5
I TR6 TR6 most common source of leaks into cockpit? Triumph 7
sjuengst Cockpit heat discovery Austin Healey 7
Michael Oritt Sheet metal for cockpit Racing 4
60Bugeye Polishing Cockpit Surround and Window Pillars Spridgets 41
bigjones Exhaust stink in cockpit Spridgets 56
ekamm Securing the cockpit side fuel tank closeout Triumph 2
G Cheap, quick cockpit cover Spridgets 1
T Rear Cockpit Surround Molding 1973 Spridgets 2
S Installing 3 pc. cockpit chrome. [b]I need help[/. Triumph 5
RickB Cockpit surround? Spridgets 26
TexasSprite Heat proofing the bugeye cockpit Spridgets 10