• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Woody's Customers

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I need input from people who have installed Woody's headers.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
No headers, but think Woody is great. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a quality piece.

Adding some functional bling Don?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Nope - stock headers with some god-awful nearly straight through pipes on the back that are loud as heck. Needless to say, I love them....

Headers would be a good idea at this point actually, but money is going into the TR6, and then the others.

Is your stock one damaged Don, or are you "just" looking to upgrade?

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I have Woody's headers, great fit but you may need to trim the mounting bracket if you have the air plugs. Took me about an hours with a grinder

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom. Can you measure the length of your muffler and the front inlet pipe?
If it looks like this

DSCF3904.jpg

I am installing Woody's headers now and have a little fitament problem
If you have sen them on his or TSI's site there a 2 pieces. The intermediate pipe is about 15" long and there is only 9.5" of space between the headers and the muffler.

Dave-Only had 2 air plugs left. They are gone now with set screws ready for replacing.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Just for your info, Woody's headers and Ted's headers are one and the same. They are made by Kirk Racing. They don't always fit perfectly. You often have to tweak them where they pass by the front frame rail on the passenger side and along the bump out it the bell housing. The large tube headers for the big motors are even more trouble. There never seems to be a problem on the drivers side because of the extra room over there. Another common problem is getting all of the bolts to start and line up. Sometimes the holes in the flanges need to be opened up a little, and on some extreme cases I have had to cut away the middle section that ties the middle two cylinders together. The real early ones didn't have them tied together if I remember correctly. It helps to make sure all of the bolts are started first and slowly draw them in together.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Todd- thanks for the heads up. I already have conquered the problem with them passing by the bell housing. No problem at all. Both sides slid in slicker than butter.The mounting holes (2)only have to be enlarged so no problem there.
I did discover the last statement was a big help in the prefitting. They are on the motor so I can mark the O2's and then have the bungs installed and then off to the ceramic coaters.
HMM...maybe I'll have them do the intake too :laugh:

Todd. Did you have any problem ever installing the new midpipe to a stock muffler before. That is what started this question.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I have never installed the midpipes. I always use the headers as a jumping off spot for an entire new exhaust. I just had a custom mandrel bent exhaust done on my buddies car. It is a dual 2.5" system, with a cross over pipe and flow master type mufflers. I still might add some intermediate mufflers to quite it down a little. It cost me $510 for the entire system, and it is made from aluminized steel pipe. It looks and sounds sweet!

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just need them to get me to my exhaust shop so they can build what I want.
What's the preference of Aluminized steel over SS?

swift6

Yoda
Has anyone tried an "X" instead of an "H" for the crossover?

Curious about how different the effect might be on a smaller V8.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have heard an X is better but my exhaust guy like the H. Says the exhaust doesn't really go thru it is just a pressure equalizer.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Might come in handy. Actually Ted e mailed me,saw a post on the digest. Said he designed the intermediate tube and it should work. So I'm wondering if my mufflers are too large.
Sounds like a personal problem

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
DNK said:
So I'm wondering if my mufflers are too large.

I'm staying out of this one. LOL.

Can measure tomorrow - have a good night.

Well, I'm not:

They're only too large if you haven't been into the brussels sprouts over in the Pub! :jester:

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I'll chime in on the AlFe over SS question.

SS is very prone to stress cracking. Looks really cool and everybody thinks it's indestructable, but it doesn't like vibration. I have seen some exhaust installs that didn't last a year before pipes were falling off, broken at a clamp or mount.

The aluminum over steel attempts to fix this problem by using the corrosion resistant properties of aluminum and bonding it to a vibration resistant steel pipe. The draw back to this is that anytime you do something to a pipe; cut it, bend it, weld it, etc., you compromise the coating.

FWIW