• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 - Re-assembly of Throttle Shaft

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Question - will a re-assembled throttle shaft assembly fit through the body holes (specifically the bearing housing piece - I assume it has to, as I assume one side goes inside the body, the other on the outside, or does it have to be set through the hole, bearing housing slid down shaft, and re-assembled in place? (ugh). <span style="font-weight: bold">Or, </span>are the 2 bearing halves both set on only one side of the body shell?

I can't check the measurements myself b/c my tub is at away at a shop. I do not want to drive the final pin into the throttle shaft if it all has to come apart again. I've spent a lot of time on restoring this piece and once you set the final pin, it's a pain in the *&% to get it apart again. But, it came in a box of parts as one piece, so I am assuming it will go back in as one piece. The joys of working on a project that you didn't tkae apart yourself. Just want to confirm

Thanks in advance,

73492-l-0.jpg

Here is how I got the old throttle shaft...all in one piece....

73495-l-0.jpg

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Ah, yes Luke I share constantly in the same joys. I can tell you that it go's in as one piece. Not easily I might add, ISTR that the accelerator pedal has to go in first and then the passenger side. If I don't remember correctly someone will correct it.

Good Luck, Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Ah, yes Luke I share constantly in the same joys. I can tell you that it goes in as one piece. Not easily I might add, ISTR that the accelerator pedal has to go in first and then the passenger side. If I don't remember correctly someone will correct it.

I just now saw your pictures. the the bearing housings fit on the inside walls of the body hub and therefore do not have to go through either of the holes. I think you are missing a set of bearing holders and a bearing that goes on the linkage side.

I will rummage around and see if I have a picture or two. If I do I will post them.

Good Luck, Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Hi Luke, interestingly enough I took no pictures when I did the installation. I just took a couple of shots so am including those. The throttle linkage came out well but the other one on the drivers side is a lousy shot but have included it anyway.
If you can install the linkage without the engine in it would be much easier, BUT
be careful that you don't snag it with engine tranny when you install them. That seems to be how many of them get damaged.

Hope that helps, Tinkerman

Attachments

• 22083.jpg
    22083.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 22084.jpg
    22084.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 250
OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Dick. What was confusing me was I assumed the bearing housing had 1/2 on one side of the body, and the other 1/2 on the other side. Careful study of your pic shows both halve are on the engine bay side.

Thanks for the access tip - I'll make a point of putting this piece on the tub before I lower the tub onto the chassis.

tmc

I just did this on my project.......once you've restored the throttle assembly (clean, paint, whatever), then it goes back in as one piece.......sorta. You have to insert the pedal end through the driver side hole and snake it around until it's in the right position, set the driver side "bearing" into the hole provided, then slip another "bearing" (3 pieces) on the other end of the shaft and set it in the passenger side hole. The bearings (or bushings) mount inside the engine compartment, with the gas pedal in the cockpit (obviously). The bearing housings are held on with 4 sheet metal screws and there's two bolts that go into the firewall on the passenger side of the engine. Best to put this in before the engine is in! I didn't and it was an "interesting" exercise getting it in.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Question - will a re-assembled throttle shaft assembly fit through the body holes (specifically the bearing housing piece)

Luke: Well no, it can't go back together that way. Take a close look at the diagram below. The shaft has mills pins at both ends, so you reassemble in pieces and then pin everything together. The reassembly instructions are from the workshop manual. The description of which end is which is backwards - two pins on the left (driver)side and one pin on the right. It is a bit awkward using a hammer and punch to drive in the pins. I use a small "dolly" to back up the shaft. BTW, many shafts are found bent. Sometimes when over-enthusiastic mechanics pull their engine, they don't realize that they have fouled the accel. shaft until it's too late and bowed in the middle. If yours is bent, try to get is as straight as possible or your accel. function will not be smooth.

good luck

accel1.jpg

accel2.jpg

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
tmc said:
The bearing housings are held on with 4 sheet metal screws
TMC
I'm not picking on you. But, in the spirit of sharing what I learned the hard way - Don't use sheet metal screws for this application. There is an important difference between "sheet metal" screws and "self tapping" screws. The originals used by the factory(YH7503 No. 10 x 3/4") have a very course self tapping thread and an un-slotted hex head. They are sometimes referred to as "Ajax" style and usually <span style="text-decoration: underline">do not</span> have a sharp point but rather are tapered but blunt. You can find these if you look. (Sears hardware had them in the past). Sheet metal screws just will not hold up in this application (which is critical). If you can't find the Ajax style use a small hex head bolt with flat and lock washers.

screws.jpg

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
angelfj said:
Question - will a re-assembled throttle shaft assembly fit through the body holes (specifically the bearing housing piece)

Luke: Well no, it can't go back together that way. Take a close look at the diagram below. The shaft has mills pins at both ends, so you reassemble in pieces and then pin everything together. The reassembly instructions are from the workshop manual. The description of which end is which is backwards - two pins on the left (driver)side and one pin on the right. It is a bit awkward using a hammer and punch to drive in the pins...

Hi Frank - I wish my throttle pedal looked like the illustration - it would have been a lot easier to take apart. It seems there must have been 2 styles of pedal assembly design. Mine clearly has the throttle shaft as one piece. So item #17 in the illustration with 2 pins is not what I have. In my case, item #17 has a single pin.

My shaft, if you study my first picture, is all one piece, with a single pin to locate the bush nearest the bent throttle pedal end. Everything has to come apart by sliding off the far (unbent) end. So the description, in my case, is correct, but not the illustration. The reference to 2 holes on the right end is technically correct - 1 for the cotter pin, and 1 for locating the lever assembly.