• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Repaint: original or new color?

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
I wanted to take a poll and see how many on this forum have repainted their beloved Triumph a color other than the original color.

I'm in the process of tearing apart my '72 Jasmine Yellow TR6, and while I always thought I'd just repaint it the original color, I'm having second thoughts. It had been repainted a much brighter yellow many years back, but that has faded. By looking at the code, and since the dash, door covers, etc. are now off, I can see the Jasmine.

I've always heard it's best to go with the original and it increases value, but, looking through Piggott's Original Triumph , Laurel Green, Pimento Red, and Sapphire Blue are all really neat colors... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hey Bill -

This subject has come up several times, and each time there's a pretty wide range of views.

My TR3's original color was beige with stone interior, according to the paint under the British racing green and black interior when I got it. However, the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust records showed beige with blue leather. When I redid it, I chose pearl white with red interior. These were factory choices at the time, so it is authentic, just not what left the factory. In the end, for me it's a combination of personal preference and remaining true to what was offered that particular year.

Mickey

My '3 is the original Signal Red, but so many others have been repainted red I was almost tempted to change it. These cars came in such interesting colors -- often reflective of the tastes(?) of the times -- that I prefer to see them in the original color or (as noted above) in a factory color. Preferably not red.

This is always a fun topic. The value thing always amazes me as if anyone was planning on making a big profit on an LBC to begin with. Ultimately it's your car, you decide and phooey on the rest of us.

I think in all honesty, you'll be able to get the same amount of money out of it regardless of what color it is. More than likely you'll be able to find someone who doesn't care whether it came on the car or not, and will pay the same for it.

When I did my tr3b I had the same quandry, finally a friend said "make it your's" So I did, using a color tr never put on a 3 at all!!!(royal navy blue)Everyone who saw it , loved it(dove grey int).
I would caution however that it is critical to remove every trace of the original color(bare steel is good)since the laws of paint comming off of hard to sand spots are strictly enforced, adn can look very bad latter.
MD(mad dog)

There are valid arguments to be made for either point of view......if you like the Jasmine Yellow then why not keep it that colour? There are an awful lot of red and green TR6s around. If not, then why not change it? I always liked the magenta, jade green or that french blue on TRs, but that is just me. I agree with the above comment though......make it yours! If there is a colour that you would absolutely love to have, then why not go for it? Unless you are looking to enter the car in concours events, why worry to much about absolute originality?

Bill,
A word of caution when painting your TR. Matching an original colour can be tricky. My TR6 was originally Emerald Green. I loved the colour and had it repainted the same, the first time. The paint shop used a Dupont paint with no clear coat, at my request. Looked great, perfect match, till the paint fell off. That is not the story. The next paint shop swore he could match the colour, this time using a PPG paint, with clear coat. I now have a John Deere Green (hmmmm, tractor. should have been Massey Ferguson) TR6 and it looks like, a tractor. Several resprays later, we got a green I finally settled for, not Emerald, but in frustration I gave up and live with it. My point is, do your homework and make damned certain that your spray man can give you the colour that you want, be it original or custom.

Bill

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/iagree.gifGood advice.......shop around, and don't be tempted to go with the lowest bid.....if the shop has a few other cars around that they have painted, or better yet, can supply references from satisfied customers, then you will feel more confident in their abilities.

Bill,

I owned a 1972 jasmine TR6 once (and almost made a run at it a week ago)...

https://www.geocities.com/tr4_1963/mytr6.html

It's one of my favorite Triumph colors (and somewhat rare as well). I think it looks great with redline tires, and would not change the color if it were my car.

However, it's your car... so paint it whatever color makes your the happiest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kurtis

As the former owner of a Jasmine Yellow TR-250, I would strongly urge not to go original color if you are thinking about resale value. Jasmine Yellow is among the least popular colors for any automobiles. While the color varied month-to-month (just like all other Triumph colors -- the mixing was not very consistent, which is why some BRG cars look apple green, others look dark green, others look near black -- all with color matching original paint.)

Jasmine was always a form of tan-yellow, and most people called it "baby s...t" yellow. It was better on the early TR6s, because it was much lighter -- and looked more yellow than tan, whereas on the TR-250s, it looked much more tan than yellow. It is about the least desirable color among TR250s and TR6s. And to show consistency, War Bonnet Yellow on C3 Corvettes is a similar color, and is also the least popular.

Go with the color you like, though. If you like it, go for it. If you like one of the other colors, go for that. The market values Signal Red and British Racing Green the most on British cars, but don't let that persuade you too much. My last TR3 started out as white, and when I got it, it was Healey Ice Blue. I painted it a correct Powder Blue, and I loved it.

Wow...
Lots of great comments. I hadn't thought of the additional work necessary to get rid of the original color... Also, appreciated knowing that Jasmine Yellow has varied over the years. The Jasmine Yellow on the VTR website looks nothing like what was on my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif

If I can find someone who will actually make Jasmine Yellow look yellow and not the tan from the old paint chart, I may just stick with it! It is more "one of a kind" that way...

Loved the comments. Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'll keep you posted...

I stuck with the original color on the GT6 because it matched the paint code on the Commission Plate, and that is the ONLY reason!
Jeff

[ QUOTE ]
I stuck with the original color on the GT6 because it matched the paint code on the Commission Plate, and that is the ONLY reason!
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one good thing about the earlier cars - they weren't identified on ID plates as to color or options. As I said in an earlier post, the only way to tell is through the BMIHT, and their records aren't always reliable because the factory records weren't!

Mickey

Dr Bill makes a good point on getting the "right" color from a particular paint company can be tricky. At the shop we use Spies Hecker. They have a killer data base that includes Triumph colors back to the 50's. Almost all can be done in singlestage or base clear. The clear coat has the advantage of enhanced UV protection for the paint , making it more durable in the long run.(no pun!!)
If you go to a jobber triumph is manufacter #51 on their data base(it no longer shows up on the regular menu)
MD(mad dog)

My '70 GT6 is saffron, and PPG Paints has a perfect match for the color and a color code. I had to purchase touch-up paint and it was a snap, they mixed the paint while I waited and it matched very well.

For a '72 TR6, your color should not be hard to find. Give PPG a try.

And, my 2cents worth, keep it original!

More great comments. As long as I can come up with a "Jasmine Yellow" that does not look like the "baby s***" yellow from the old DuPont paint charts, I'll be happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

When done as an actual yellow, it looks pretty cool, and kinda represents the times. You know, a Jasmine Yellow TR6 driving through San Francisco with Simon and Garfunkel on the radio... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Thanks for the leads on finding a good color match. I'll keep you posted on the progress...