• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Help! Carb, intake, etc.. Car wont start

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Simply put, you need three things to get it to start.
1) Air. Seldom a problem.
2) Fuel.
3) A spark at about the right time.

I'd start by checking #2 and #3. Are you getting gas to the carbs? Are you getting a spark?

I've never heard of an engine not starting because the carbs were set too rich. A very rich mixture might cause it to run poorly, but the engine will start.

If you had to run it before with the choke on, my guess is fuel issues.

My car has been running bad lately, but i havent been able to take a look at it. I moved it today and noticed that it was spitting up gas from the intake. decide i would fix it so i pulled everything apart and replaced the two side cover gaskets(leaking bad) and the intake/exhaust gasket. Put everything back together now the car wont start! I had to run it with the choke on to make it run smoothly before, so i figured that was because the intake had a leak. Could the carbs just be too rich now, since there is no more leak?

The spark is good! Even put in a new condensor for good measure. The carbs are recieving gas from the fuel pump. I checked it and i also have a new solid state pump on there, lots of gas. I pulled the plugs and cranked it with my finger over the hole and i do not have any gas on it. So the problem is from the carbs or intake, fuel is getting to them but not getting to the engine.

Spark plugs!! They were firing, just not enough i guess. This is the third set of plugs i have put on the car in the last 2 months! Time for the rebuild!

Hi gents

I'm brand new to this forum. I was surfing yesterday and noticed the problem listed by Orange. Glad to see you have found and corrected the problem.
The reason the question caught my eye is I have been working on an old MGTD for a friend. This car developed a serious engine knock about 17 years ago, and my friend just put the car in a barn where it has been deteriorating. He was told the car had thrown a rod and was not repairable. The engine ran, but with a great deal of knocking at low rpm, and blew a little vapor out of the carbs. I tested it, looked it over, and decided thewre was a mechanical timing problem. Sure enough, the timing chain was loose and the cam gear was slipping on the camshaft. The camshaft key was almost sheared so that the gear was bouncing back and forth at low speed, maybe 10 or 15 degrees, causing some mechanical noise and probably some detonation. Since everything was badly worn, I replaced the whole timing gear and chain assembly, and that cleared the whole problem. I'm glad to hear you found a much simpler problem and solution.

Welcome aboard Alfred!! You will find this a fun place to be!! I'm glad orange had it that simple too!!
canpatriot.gif