• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Engine shipping do's and do not's

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - hope everyone is warm, dry, done with their shopping.

I found a good TR3 engine replacement candidate in AL, and need to get it shipped to SoCal.

Any tips or recommendations on freight companies?

Thanks!

TD,

Are they going to mount it on a pallet for you?

Will the pan/covers/manifolds/distributor/carbs be exposed to damage?

Is the flywheel on the engine?

I know that this is answering a question with more questions, but it could help protect your investment and determine the carrier availability.

Hi Paul - questions are good! I've never done this before so take me to school here.

It will be pallet mounted, with side supports that we're planning to bolt on to the engine mounts. No exhaust manifold, but everything else you see will be there along with a valve cover.

I don't think it has the fly wheel still attached - but honestly I forgot to ask.

DSC00126.jpg

DSC001231.jpg

Then it will need to be loaded/unloaded via a crane or fork lift. That may determine your carrier due to transfers along the way.

This one can't go Greyhound.....

I've had good luck with https://www.forwardair.com if both ends are close to a terminal and your seller can deliver to the terminal. They charges a LOT less than the usual parcel people; and have no problem with large and heavy items.

For minimum damage (if the pan is in place), I'd suggest a wooden frame to fit around the pan. I used 2x8 to run the length of the engine and across the front, plus 1x8 across the back (to fit between the pan & flywheel). The 1x8 extends out to the sides for stability. Probably best to nail the wood to the pallet too, and of course lots of straps to hold it all in place.

I would call the shipper and see what they recommend. My first thought was to ship it on it's side to lower the center of gravity. I would also remove the easily damaged items like the fuel pump and coil, and place them in a box on the same pallet.

Aloha Skip,

Having it mounted on a pallet is good, mount it on the pallet so the forklift tine pockets are on the sides of the engine. I would suggest some stout (2 x 4)crating around the perimeter of the engine to protect oil pump/filter, fuel pump, rocker arm assembly and fan extension. You want to make sure anything stacked on top of your crate will not damage the engine. Also make sure the engine is firmly attached to the pallet/framing so it will not tip over or move around inside the crating.

You should be able to arrange shipping through a freight company near you. They will arrange the pick up through their agents in the vicinity of where the engine is now. Overland freight cost is based on weight of the shipment and their may be a minimum price for a LTL (Less than Trailer Load) shipment. By dealing with one company, you have one point of contact for scheduling, delivery and hopefully not necessary any damage claims. It is good to have photos of the engine before shipment and after crating to document the starting condition of your shipment.

Thanks guys - appreciate the tips! I'll start dialing on Friday / Monday and see what I can come up with.

Thanks!

I've shipped quite a few motorcycle engines, and a couple of complete motorcycles, through Forward Air. They've always been completely crated, but I've seen a lot of various items on pallets when I've been there.

Forward Air is usually the cheapest, and they have terminals in most major cities, usually at larger freight airports. They're HQ'd here in Columbus and they're open 24/7, which makes it convenient. They're quick, and I've never had a problem with them damaging or losing a shipment.

From a shipper's standpoint, they're a bit of a pain as you can only pay with a certified check/money order (unless you have a corporate account). Which means you have to go to the terminal, have them take the crate out of your truck and weigh it, then go to the office while they figure out the charges, then drive somewhere and get a money order, drive back, and complete the paperwork. Not the quickest or most effecient process.

From a receiver's standpoint, if there's a Forward Air near you, the only negative I've found is you sometimes stand around a lot until they find the "right guy" to help you out. They're clearly set up for commercial shipments, and having consumers in shipping or receiving sometimes tends to be an exercise in patience.

If you check with other freight companies, look at Terminal-to-Terminal shipping, which works like Forward Air's model. It's often less than half of what they charge for door-to-door service. UPS is now in the Freight business, and I've used them a couple of times with good results. They're usually a bit pricier than Forward Air, but there's a lot more UPS terminals across the country, and they also accept checks, which makes shipping a lot easier.

I had an engine and transmission for my TR6 shipped with Forward Air also. After checking a number of companies, and listening to others that have done this, they ended up being the cheapest and practical for me. The person I bought the engine and transmission from bolted both pieces to the pallet, and them put a 2x4 frame around it. They then added a 1/4" plywood to the sides and top for added protection. A fairly good experience all the way around. I only had to drive about 45 minutes to get to the Forward Air terminal, and they were quite helpful when I got there.

Kevin

Hatman said:
Which means you have to go to the terminal, have them take the crate out of your truck and weigh it, then go to the office while they figure out the charges, then drive somewhere and get a money order, drive back, and complete the paperwork. Not the quickest or most effecient process.

The way around this is a handfull of $20 money orders and a single $5. The amount you burn is worth the runaround hassle. BTDT.

Tom - I had my 1275 Sprite motor shipped from South Carolina (from Hap's ACME shop) to Utah via FedEx freight to the local terminal. It was mounted on a pallet and wrapped with a bunch of that shipping cling wrap style stuff. Came through safe and sound.

Scott_Hower said:
The way around this is a handfull of $20 money orders and a single $5. The amount you burn is worth the runaround hassle. BTDT.

The guys at your Forward Air location must be a little more relaxed than mine (maybe because my location is the corporate HQ?). I tried something similar when shipping a motorcycle engine. I'd shipped them before, knew what it would cost, so I rounded up and went to the location with a money order in hand. The bill ended up being $3 and change less than my money order, but the clerk said it had to be for the exact amount, and when I appealed to the manager, he too said no dice.

There's a mini-mart less than a mile away from their terminal where I can get money orders for 49 cents, so I just accept the hassle as part of doing business with them.

Many years ago, Ted of T&S in Ohio shipped me an engine lying flat on a pallet, held on by a few metal straps. engine had no manifolds or flywheel, but did have water pump, oil pan & rocker cover. No problems at all.

Colin

A few years ago, I bought a sandblast cabinet from TP Tools. Similar to the one in the link below. Weight was about 4-500 lbs. They shipped it FedEx Freight and I picked it up at the terminal. I was very satisfied with the experience.

If you go here and then scroll down to the map of the US and click on the Shipping/Export link, there is some general freight info that may be helpful to you.

I had a small block chevy block shipped to me via freight to a terminal. $88. I pulled up with a pickup and they loaded it into the back with a forklift.