• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Boring comparison

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Left is a Chevy 350

Left is a Chevy 350 jug, +0.030" over. On the right, a V-12 Ferrari one, standard bore.

SS2_8672Gcrsc.JPG

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
1.5L / V16 = 93.75cc per cylinder -- wow
600bhp / 1.5L = 400bhp per liter -- YIKES
600bhp / V16 = 37.5bhp per cylinder -- comparable to the entire output of the 1200cc engine in a 60s VW Beetle!

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
From Wikipedia on the BRM P48's transmission mounted brake..."the unlovingly nicknamed "bacon slicer" rear brake."

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
A bit more on the V16 (showed up on my Facebook feed)

1715218583985.png

The idea of a 1.5L V16 seems hilarious by modern racing standards, especially to us in the land of BangShift where 900-cube V8s are prowling drag strips. That being said, in the world of Formula One racing back in the early 1950s engine designers had a choice. They could design a 4.5L naturally aspirated engine or a 1.5L blower motor.
BRM (British Racing Motors) decided to go the 1.5L route with their V16. It sported a comical 1.95-inch bore and 1.9-inch stroke. It was capable of 12,000 rpm and when equipped with a Rolls-Royce two stage centrifugal blower the engine made 600hp. Reportedly that Rolls blower was forcing 82 pounds of boost through the engine!
Interestingly, the engine featured two valves per cylinder. We’re guessing the tiny bore may have been a factor in that. These valves make Buick Nailhead valves look massive! How about 1.25in on the intake and 1.09in on the exhaust?
It’s no wonder why Formula One cars were revered so much back in this era. An engine like this in a custom racing chassis was the space shuttle of the day.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Both are really impressive.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It’s no wonder why Formula One cars were revered so much back in this era. An engine like this in a custom racing chassis was the space shuttle of the day.
Can't recall who said it... Someone once pointed out to me that "today" (60s-80s), the best & brightest engineers design spacecraft, but in the 1930s-50s the same cream-of-the-crop engineers were designing automobiles.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Can't recall who said it... Someone once pointed out to me that "today" (60s-80s), the best & brightest engineers design spacecraft, but in the 1930s-50s the same cream-of-the-crop engineers were designing automobiles.
Seems to me "today" the best are designing "bitcoins" and other fictional nothings :(