• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Beefing up the Rear end Pins TR6

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I pulled the rear end out to be rebuilt on the TR6, see other post, and with all the issues with the pins cracking I came up with some bracing, and wondered why no one thought about this method. My pins are not cracked but seems to me that bracing the end of the pins would also help in keeping the pins from cracking in the frame, I have only done the rear pins so far and will see about the front ones.

Attachments

• 9741.jpg
    9741.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 210
I believe the pins crack or push through the frame because of repeated vertical forces. The braces you have in place reinforce against lateral movement which is not the primary cause of problems. Boxing in and adding doubler plates (if replacing the pins) is the key to guarding against problems in the future.

With that said, I am in favor of any extra bracing and like what you have done. It certainly can't hurt anything.

I had to replace two of my pins when doing my frame off and added doubling plates as well as boxed about everything I could imagine in 1/8 inch plate steel.

hondo,

A novel idea. Concentrate your efforts on the front passenger side mounting pin as this is the typical break point on the TR6. The vibrations/torque cause the bracket to crack across its face where the pin intersects.

ok now I have thought about the suituation and I need some feed back, the brackets I made( see pics above) were to keep the rear of diff from shifting left to right, since I thought the cracking was cause by that movement left to right of the whole differential like a pendulium, and not being an engineer by degree, but experience by trade and reading that the front right passinger pin cracks first from the previous post by 71tr and from how to improve a tr6 the book, is it a torsonial crack? since the engine turns counter clockwise, perspective from the rear of the car, and for evey action there is an equal and opposite reaction I am wondering if the front right of the diff( passinger side front pin) is trying to move in a downward motion, does that seem reasonable so far? so if thats how the crack developes would it be feasible to make a bracket to support the right front pin from moving in a downward motion since mine are not cracked... figured it would be a precaution, hope this make some since all replys are welcome and expected

Just box them in as most people have done. this should be fine for most except racing conditions.

here are the support brackets for the front

Attachments

• 9861.jpg
    9861.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 215
  • 9862.jpg
    9862.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 213
Hondo-

I'll soon be installing a replacement differential in my
69TR6 so I'm following your concept work closely. I already
installed new mounts and my broken passenger side front pin
plate has been welded.

I like your concept for the passenger, front pin additional
support. But I'm wondering if you might want to shave a bit
off the poly mount so you catch ALL the threads inside the
locknuts. I would also use Locktite Blue-

I'm a worry wart about things falling off my car or falling
apart while driving my car. I've had a number of DPO caused scary events.

I think your concept can only add strength to a weak area.

d

Hi Tinster
the bolts were not tightened up all the way yet, there was plenty of thread left I basically just put the bolt on to hold the bracket on for the pic, I think once I get the diff back on and tighten up all the way it will catch all the threads and the nylon on the lock nut, the diff rebuild probably will not be back for 3 more weeks, I sent it to quantumechanics

Well the rear end is at quantumechanics, just talked to John, and mine seems shot, pits on the ring and pinion teeth, spider gear shims wore out, which is what I thought, so John is sending me a rebuilt one already done and I should have it next week, and hopefully reinstall next weekend. Maybe a 70 degree day for the test drive...

I received my rear end back on thursday from John at quantumechanics, thats the TR6 rear end, Installed it on Friday using the purple mounts, had to fiddle with the exhaust systemt to get it right. the brackets I made as seen in the pics above to stabalize the pins bolted up without a problem. I took it out for a spin and All is Well, no noise from the rear end at ALL, nice an quite, Great Job John

Attachments

• 10172.jpg
    10172.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 206