• Hey Guest!
    BCF is a resource offered at no cost to the Little British Car community. We do not require you to pay to play here. However, if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and you want to ensure we stay online - Please support us with an "optional" low-cost (less than many car club dues) member upgrade. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1956 TR3 carburetor problem

Mike Weikert

Still Lurking
The number 2 piston on my SU carburetor will not move up and down when engine is being accelerated. When the engine is not running the number 2 piston will not move all the way to the bottom when it is raised by hand. I have switched the piston, spring, and camber from position 1 to position 2 but I get the same results. Everything works fine on number 1 but number 2 does the same thing. I also cleaned all of the parts with carburetor cleaner.

As I recall, the jet has to be centred around the needle in the piston. The piston should fall with a small thud when the piston is raised and released.

Further to the above: Loosen the brass jet in the body of the carburetor, shift the jet around slightly until the raised piston, when released, falls all the way, with the “ thud”, when released. I hope I’m addressing your problem.

Back